Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lisa Lupie

Good Morning! My name is Lisa Lupie.

This summer I am taking my first trip across America to help spread awareness about a disease called lupus.  I can't wait to see all the people and places I get to visit!  Maybe I'll even get to travel the WORLD!  That would be so cool!

I love butterflies and my favorite color is purple.  You may wonder why.  I like the color purple because it is the awareness color for lupus.  Butterflies are a symbol of the rash that sometimes appears on the faces of those suffering a flare-up.  I bet you are thinking ... what is lupus?

Lupus is a life-threatening disease. It makes something go wrong with the immune system, which is the part of the body that fights off viruses, bacteria, and germs.  When confused, the immune system attacks the body's cells and tissues, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage. Currently there is no cure for this disease, only medication to treat the symptoms.

My friend, Lori Kilpatrick, is a member of Team Knaup.  Team Knaup is SO awesome!  Along with spreading awareness, they also raise funds and donate to the Lupus Foundation of America (LFA).  The LFA hosts a 5k walk in Los Angeles, California every year in September.  With help from people like you ... last year Team Knaup raised over $23,000!  They appreciate all your help! 

My friend, Beverly Knaup is our team captain.  She is a lupus survivor and a truly amazing woman.  Please click on the names in the column to the right to learn about each person that has inspired us to be a part of such a wonderful cause.  Their stories are sure to touch you.


As I travel America, my photos and details will be submitted to Lori. I am so excited to share my stories with you and even more excited to share information about lupus with you! Lori is also handling all of the donations for me since I will be on the road.

Our team goal this year is $5,000.  Lori and I have set a goal of $500 to help reach that goal.  We would be so greatful for any donation you could make.  To make a donation, please visit our Team Knaup site. or click on one of the "stories" up in the bar on the right and donate to one of the personal sites.  If you are unable to donate at this time, we would appreciate if you would keep our team and all those affected by lupus, in your thoughts and prayers.   Prayers are so powerful.

May is Lupus Awareness Month.  I will be leaving for my first destination on Monday, May 14th!  I will be traveling until the first weeks of September.  Stay tuned to see where I go!